Ig Nobel Ceremony on radio this Friday!!!
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 94 20:43:35 PST
Subject: Ig Nobel Ceremony on radio this Friday!!!
The 1994 Ig Nobel Prize Ceremony will be broadcast nationwide
this Friday (Nov. 25) on National Public Radio's
"Talk of the Nation / Science Friday" program.
This is a slightly edited three dimensional recording of the
event as it took place at MIT. It features:
* Announcements of the 10 Ig Nobel Prizes
* Acceptance speeches by three of the winners, including
Dr. Robert Lopez (who won for the experiments in which he inserted
cat ear mites into his own ear); Dr. Brian Sweeney (co-author
of "Constipation in the US Serviceman - A Comprehensive Study");
and Dr. Richard Dart (co-winner of the Medicine Prize for treating
the rattlesnake bite victim who had first tried to cure himself
by having his lip connected to a jeep sparkplug wire and the jeep
engine revved to 3000 rpm for 5 minutes).
* Speeches, literary flights, and warnings from eight genuine
* The 30-second Heisenberg Certainty Lectures
* Special guest appearances by The Norwegian Consul, Ira Flatow,
Margaret Geller, Marvin Minsky, Cynthia Freind, Jerome Lettvin,
Mr. Cheap, and Dr. Bruce Colvin, the rat control scientist
from Boston's Central Artery Reconstruction project.
* The "Returning Ig Nobel Laureate's Address" by Jim Knowlton
(Ig Nobel Art Prize 1992), creator of the poster "Penises of
the Animal Kingdom
* Special Musical Performaces by jazz harpist Deborah Henson-
* The world premier of the ballet "Interpretive Dance of the
Electrons" featuring three Nobel Laureates Lipscomb,
Herschbach and Roberts and The Nicola Hawkins Dancers"
The Ig Nobel Ceremony will comprise the second hour of the 2-hour
Science Friday program. In most parts of the US it will be
broadcast at 3-4 pm Eastern Time, but please check local listings.
[In particular: the broadcast time is different in NYC and DC.]
© 1994 Peter Langston