Bicycle Survey (pls. fwd. even if you don't bike commute)
Date: Tue, 23 May 95 21:18:54 PDT
From: Peter Langston <psl>
Subject: Bicycle Survey (pls. fwd. even if you don't bike commute)
Forwarded-by: " email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Bill Moritz <email@example.com>
Subject: Bike Commute Survey
SURVEY OF REGULAR BICYCLE COMMUTERS.
May 19, 1995
This survey seeks data on bicycle commuting (to either work or
school / college), and is being carried out by the Human Powered
Transportation Program at the University of Washington.
Our goal is to reach as many bike commuters as possible across
the U.S.A. and Canada. For the purposes of this survey, a
'regular' bike commuter uses a bicycle at least 1 day per week, 6
months a year. If you do not bike commute at least this much,
please pass on this survey to someone who does.
All identifying information will be removed upon receipt and the
results will be tabulated so that individual replies will not be
identifiable and only summaries of the responses received will be
reported. Answers should be based on the all bicycle commuting
you did during the PREVIOUS 12 month period, unless otherwise stated.
Complete answers by replacing the asterisk with your answer.
Where a series of choices is given, replace the asterisk with the
number assigned to your particular choice.
Please share this with other regular bike commuters you know, we
are looking for the widest possible distribution.
This effort is part of Daniel Booth's Human Powered Transportation
Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey.
ABOUT YOUR COMMUTING.
Unless otherwise stated, trip refers to your typical, one-way
commute trip. A round trip (e.g. home-work-home) should be
treated as two one-way trips.
* 1. How long have you been regularly commuting by bicycle (yrs)?
* 2. How many one-way commute trips do you make per week?
* 3. Over the course of a year, what is your USUAL (>50%)
own car=1, vanpool / carpool=2, transit=3, motorbike=4,
bike=5, walk=6, other=7
4. What is your commute distance and time for your USUAL mode?
* a. miles (typical one-way trip).
* b. minutes (typical one-way trip).
5. What is your commute distance and time by bike ONLY?
* a. miles (typical one-way trip).
* b. minutes (typical one-way trip).
* 6. Total miles of bike commuting in the past 12 months.
* 7. How did you commute before you started using your bicycle?
motor vehicle=1, car/vanpool =2, transit=3,
motorbike=4, walk=5, always bike commuted=6, other=7
* 8. If 100% of your commute trips are NOT by bike, what is the
PRIMARY reason for not bike commuting on these occasions ?
need car at work=1, roads too dangerous=2
personal safety=3, lack of facilities at work=4,
weather conditions=5, darkness=6,
family reasons (i.e. drop off/pick up children)=7,
other (please specify)=8
* 9. How many months in a year do you NOT commute by bicycle
because of your regional climate (bad weather)?
ABOUT THE FACILITIES YOU USE.
10. What percentage of your BICYCLE commute trip is made on...
*% a. major or arterial roads (w/no specific bike facilities) ?
*% b. minor streets (w/ no specific bike facilities) ?
*% c. on-street facilities (bike lanes)?
*% d. signed bike route (only signs - no bike lanes)?
*% e. bike paths / trails (off street bike facilities) ?
*% f. other?
11. Are any of the following facilities provided at your
destination for bicycle commuters? ( No=0, Yes=1 )
* a. Parking lockers
* b. Racks
* c. Locked room / cage
* d. Showers
* e. Clothes storage
* f. Others (please specify)
12. What facilities not provided at your destination would you
most like to see (& why) ?
ABOUT YOUR BIKE.
* 13. What type of bicycle do you use MOST for commuting?
road / racing=1, mountain=2, hybrid=3, touring=4
recumbent=5, other (please specify)=6
* 14. Do you have a second commuting bike for bad weather
conditions, alternative destination, etc. ?
Answer No=0, or use key above from Q. 13.
* 15. a. Estimate your total MILES ridden (all purposes), in the
past 12 months.
Indicate what percentage of these MILES were:
*% b. commuting trips
*% c. utility / non-commute trips (i.e. shopping)
*% d. recreation / touring / exercise
* e. Are responses on odometer data? ( No=0, Yes=1 )
The following questions are concerned only with the bicycle you
MOST REGULARLY use for commuting...
$* 16. How much did it cost?
17. Do you regularly carry / use any of the following on your
commute? ( No=0, Yes =1 )
* a. mirror
* b. odometer/"computer/speedometer
* c. bags / panniers
* d. pump and patch kit
* e. spare tube and/or tire
* f. comprehensive tool kit
* g. front light(s) - NOT a flasher
* h. approximate total watts for front light(s)
* i. front flasher(s)
* j. rear light(s) - NOT a flasher
* k. rear flasher(s)
* l. reflectors and / or reflective tape
* m. bell / horn
* 18. Do you own a cycling helmet? ( No=0, Yes=1 )
*% 19. Percentage of commute trips do you use your helmet?
20. Amounts spent (total dollars) in the last 12 months on...
NOTE: When considering yearly costs, assign each cost item
to one category only, e.g. do not assign home repair costs
to 'consumables' & 'repairs'.
$* a. bicycle purchase
$* b. accessories at the time of bike purchase except clothes
$* c. upgrades after bike purchase (e.g. better wheels, pedals)
$* d. consumables (e.g. chains, brakes pads, tires etc.)
$* e. clothing
$* f. bike shop repairs/service
$* g. tools / supplies for HOME repairs and service
$* h. bike parking
$* i. any other costs not included above (specify below)
*% 21. What percentage of repairs do you do yourself (as opposed
to taking your bike to a bike shop)?
ABOUT YOUR MOTIVATION.
22. Does your employer/school encourage bike commuting by:
( No=0, Yes=1)
* a. Loaner bikes / free bikes
* b. Cash incentives
* c. Prizes / award ceremonies
* d. Guaranteed ride home
* e. Ride companion scheme
* f. Education program
* g. New facilities
* h. Other (please specify)
23. Did any of the following play a part in your decision to
bike commute? ( No=0, Yes=1 )
* a. Motor vehicle parking costs / availability
* b. Motor vehicle fuel costs
* c. Congestion
* d. Improved public bicycle facilities
* e. Moved closer to work
* f. Environmental concerns
* g. Health/fitness
ABOUT SAFETY / ACCIDENTS.
24. Regarding SERIOUS accidents that you have been involved in
while commuting by bicycle in the last 12 months (count only
those incidents in which injuries or property damage in
excess of $50 resulted):
* a. How many have you been involved in?
$* b. Estimate TOTAL property damage for these accidents.
$* c. Estimate TOTAL medical costs for these accidents.
25. How many of the accidents from Q. 30..
* were reported to the police?
* resulted in legal action?
26. How many of the accidents from Q. 30...
* involved a motor vehicle?
* involved other cyclists?
* involved pedestrians?
* involved animals?
* involved no-one else?
27. How many of the accidents from Q. 30...
* required you to visit a doctor &/or accident room?
* required a stay in hospital?
28. How many of the accidents from Q. 30...
* occurred on a major street / highway?
* occurred on a minor street?
* occurred on a bike lane / bike route?
* occurred on a bike path?
* occurred on another type of facility?
ABOUT YOUR HEALTH.
* 29. Your general health since you started bicycle commuting?
improved greatly=1, improved somewhat=2,
not improved at all=3, has deteriorated=4
ABOUT YOU AND YOUR HOUSEHOLD.
* 30. Age?
* 31. Gender? (Female=1, Male=2)
* 32. Total Household Income per year. Less than $15K=1,
$15-$30K=2, $30K-$45K=3, $45-60K=4, More than $60K=5
* 33. Occupation. Student=1, Clerical=2, Professional=3,
Administrative=4, Academic/Teacher=5, Managerial=6,
General/Skilled Labor=7, Sales=8, Other=9
* 34. a. How many motor vehicles do you own ?
* b. If ZERO, is this by choice ? ( No=0, Yes=1 )
* 35. City.
* 36. Zip / Postal Code.
Please complete and return this survey...
via post to... Professor William E. Moritz
Human Powered Transportation,
College of Engineering,
University of Washington,
Seattle, WA 98195 - 2500.
via e-mail to... firstname.lastname@example.org
via fax to... 206 - 543 - 3842
© 1995 Peter Langston