Charlie Finley Remembered
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 96 13:35:46 -0800
From: Peter Langston <psl>
Subject: Charlie Finley Remembered
Forwarded-by: firstname.lastname@example.org (Keith Bostic)
Charles O. Finley (1918 - 1996)
"Oakland is the luckiest city since Hiroshima."
- Missouri Sen Stuart Symington, when Charlie Finley moved
the Kansas City Athletics to Oakland in 1967
"Mr. Finley pointed out I only used one arm."
- Pitcher Vida Blue, on why he couldn't negotiate more moeny
from the A's in 1971
"It took eight hours -- seven and a half just to find his heart."
- A's pitcher Steve McCatty, on Finley's heart operation in 1981
"Twenty-two out of the 25 guys on our team hate him."
- Sal Bando in 1974. He didn't say who the other three were
"Your big problem (is that) you think you're God. You're all wrong about
that. I'm God!"
- Charlie Finley to Reggie Jackson
© 1996 Peter Langston