Eighteen More Aphorisms, #41 - #58
Mime-Version: 1.0 (NeXT Mail 3.3 v118.2)
From: Peter Langston <psl>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 96 18:06:11 -0700
Subject: Eighteen More Aphorisms, #41 - #58
Forwarded-by: Jef Jaisun <email@example.com>
Forwarded-by: Captain <firstname.lastname@example.org>
41. My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but
then I realized that I had no character.
-- Charles Barkley, on hearing Tonya Harding proclaim herself
"the Charles Barkley of figure skating"
42. The most important thing in the programming language is the name.
A language will not succeed without a good name. I have recently
invented a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable
language. -- D. E. Knuth, 1967
43. A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you
least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's
left of your unit. -- In the August 1993 issue, page 9, of PS
magazine, the Army's magazine of preventive maintenance
44. An Animated Cartoon Theology:
1. People are animals.
2. The body is mortal and subject to incredible pain.
3. Life is antagonistic to the living.
4. The flesh can be sawed, crushed, frozen, stretched, burned,
bombed, and plucked for music.
5. The dumb are abused by the smart and the smart destroyed by
their own cunning.
6. The small are tortured by the large and the large destroyed
by their own momentum.
7. We are able to walk on air, but only as long as our illusion
-- E. L. Doctorow "The Book of Daniel"
45. Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of
Congress. But I repeat myself. -- Mark Twain
46. Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they
don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the
Hobbes: Isn't your pants' zipper supposed to be in the front?
47. On one occasion a student burst into his office. "Professor
Stigler, I don't believe I deserve this F you've given me." To
which Stigler replied, "I agree, but unfortunately it is the lowest
grade the University will allow me to award."
48. The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average
(mean) number of legs. -- E. Grebenik
49. Old Yiddish proverb: "If triangles had a God, He'd have three
50. Don't worry about temptation--as you grow older, it starts avoiding
you. -- Old Farmer's Almanac
51. G: "If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
EB: "Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air
and scatter oneself over a wide area."
-- Somewhere in No Man's Land, BA4
52. The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled.
53. Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone
wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than
-- Charlie Brown, _Peanuts_ [Charles Schulz]
54. The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad.
-- Salvador Dali
55. What a distressing contrast there is between the radiant
intelligence of the child and the feeble mentality of the average
adult. -- Sigmund Freud
56. I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone,
but they've always worked for me. -- Hunter S. Thompson
57. Sacred cows make the best hamburger. -- Mark Twain
58. "Time's fun when you're having flies." -- Kermit the Frog
© 1996 Peter Langston