It's 1998...Do You Know Where (or Who) Your Kids Are?
Mime-Version: 1.0 (NeXT Mail 3.3 v118.2)
From: Peter Langston <psl>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 98 22:18:37 -0800
Subject: It's 1998...Do You Know Where (or Who) Your Kids Are?
[A sobering thought or two... -psl]
Forwarded-by: "ORourke, Jim" <Jim.ORourke@metrokc.gov>
* The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born
* The Iranian hostage crisis occurred before they were conceived.
* They have no memory of a time before MTV.
* New Wave" is their PARENTS musical generation.
* Cyndi Lauper, Boy George, the Pretenders, the Kinks, the Sex Pistols --
are all old musicians who they have probably never heard of.
* They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era.
* They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
* If they have heard the name "Oliver North," it was probably as a losing
Congressional candidate, or perhaps in some obscure survey history text
reference, such as might be made to Huey Long or Teapot Dome.
* Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
* Their world has always included AIDS.
* Having not lived through the Disco Scare, they can romanticize the 1970s.
* They see "Family Ties" as something middle-aged ladies watch.
* They watched "Star Wars" years ago, when they were kids -- on video.
* Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums and cassette audiotapes; they may
have heard of an 8-track, but probably have never actually seen, or heard
* From their earliest years, a camera was something you used once and threw
* As far as they know, stamps have always cost around 30 cents.
* The oil crisis is history of which they probably know nothing -- and why
anyone WOULDN'T buy a Chevy Suburban is beyond them.
* Most of them have probably never seen a real nun, even if they went to
© 1998 Peter Langston