Red Sox Tribute
Mime-Version: 1.0 (NeXT Mail 3.3 v118.2)
From: Peter Langston <psl>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 99 16:01:42 -0700
Subject: Red Sox Tribute
X-Lib-of-Cong-ISSN: 1098-7649 -=[ Fun_People ]=-
Forwarded-by: "Lee S. Kilpatrick (Mr. Breeze)" <email@example.com>
[Forwards removed to protect the guilty. People here at work took a
look at this list, and we determined at at least 11 of these 20 items
were actually false. - Lee]
Twenty major events that have occurred since the Red Sox last laid claim
to a World Series championship:
1. Radio was invented; Red Sox fans got to hear their team lose.
2. TV was invented; Red Sox fans got to see their team lose.
3. Baseball added 14 teams; Red Sox fans get to see and hear their team
lose to more clubs.
4. George Burns celebrated his 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th,
90th, and 100th birthdays.
5. Halley's comet passed Earth...twice.
6. Babe Ruth was sold. He went on to win 4 World Series titles with the
7. The NBA and NHL were formed, and Boston teams won championships in both
8. Man landed on the moon, as have several home runs given up by Red Sox
9. Fifteen U.S. presidents were elected.
10. There were eleven amendments added to the Constitution.
11. Prohibition was created and repealed.
12. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered, and became the
subject of major motion pictures, the latest giving Red Sox fans hope
that something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.
13. Fenway Park was built and becomes the oldest park in the American
14. Flagpoles were erected on the Fenway Park roof to hold all of the team's
future World Series pennants. Those flagpoles have since rusted and been
15. A combination of forty Summer and Winter Olympics have been held.
16. Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown; several thanked
Red Sox pitchers.
17. Bell-bottoms came in style, went out of style and came back in style;
disco did the same.
18. The Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians, and Florida Marlins have all
won the World Series.
19. Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma, and New Mexico were admitted to the
20. Bill Buckner
© 1999 Peter Langston